- an Android emulator (I used BlueStacks)
- WhatCrypt app by TripCode - WhatsApp Database Crypt Tool (I know there is a web version of this tool, but that's something I'm not allowed to use)
For the following steps, the two tools require no internet connection to work.
- Run BlueStacks
- Drag and drop the .apk file from your PC to the emulator window in order to install WhatCrypt
- There's a shared folder between the host and the emulator located in: C:\ProgramData\BlueStacks\UserData\SharedFolder
- Copy into this folder the WhatsApp key file and your crypt9 databases. Rename the key file to whatsapp.cryptkey otherwise WhatCrypt won't be able to detect it.
- Run WhatCrypt
- Click WhatsApp database
- Double click on Encrypted Database Path
- Navigate to the path /storage/sdcard/windows/BstSharedFolder and select the crypt9 db you need to decrypt
- Double click Key File Path
- Select the whatsapp.cryptkey file
- Click Decrypt Database
Done! A SQLite database named msgstore.db will appear in the SharedFolder on your computer.